The SAJ is located at 15 West 86th Street, just west of Central Park West, on Manhattan's Upper West Side.
The synagogue building was our first permanent home. Rabbi Mordecai M. Kaplan, our founder, opened it in 1926, four years after our congregation was founded.
Our sanctuary — a beautiful contemplative space — is the location for all of our Shabbat and holiday services. It was extensively renovated, thanks to a highly successful capital campaign, and reopened to the congregation on Rosh Hashanah 2004.
The synagogue building also houses the Jewish Journey Project, our after-school education program for grades K - 7 , the Social Hall, where we hold Kiddush after Shabbat services as well as special events, and the offices of the Rabbi, Cantor, and Director of Education.